Monday, May 10, 2010

A tribute to the mother of my daughters



Dear Cecilia,
You are an amazing mother to Kristen & Audrey. It's hard to put into words how much I appreciate you and all of the hard work that you constantly do for them, but on this Mother's Day I am going to make another attempt:)
As we dated I came to realize that you were exactly the woman that I wanted to be partnered with for life. I knew you would be an awesome wife and while I may not have verbalized at the time, something inside me also knew that you would be a great mother if God allowed us to be parents. However, back then I had no idea just HOW great you would be. Now that we are almost 4 years into parenting (although counting the pregancy, it's about 4 and a half), I am deeply impressed and am thrilled to be your partner in this journey.
I remember vividly our first childbirth adventure.  It was not an easy ordeal for you to endure (that is a SERIOUS understatement). Thank you for enduring all the pain and trauma of childbirth to bring little Kristen Joy into this oxygen-breathing world. I remember being at your bedside and hearing her first cries. What a sense of wonder and joy to finally get to see and hear her (all nine pounds and 0.2 ounces of her:)



 I remember loading her in our car to head home and then looking at you and saying something like "We actually have a baby, our baby, in the back seat!" And you were like "No crap, Sherlock! Now put the pedal to the metal and get me home to my own comfy bed!"
Just kidding! Actually you didn't say that at all. You shared with me a sense of "Wow, she's here in our own vehicle and we're taking her home to our house for the first time."


I also remember vividly our second childbirth adventure. It was not an easy ordeal for you to endure (that is another serious understatement). At least it was not as drawn out as Kristen's, but still it was rough. I remember when the nurse asked you if you wanted Audrey to be placed on your tummy when she was out or in the little baby-tub-thingey. You were so exhausted that the energy to speak was not really even there. So for once in my life I thought quickly and said "Honey, give us one finger for on your tummy and two fingers for in the little baby-tub-thingey." You of course held up one finger and wanted to see and touch little Audrey Nicole as soon as you could. So a few moments later there she was for the first time (all eight pounds and 1.7 ounces of her).




A few hours later Kristen got to come meet her and she was all about the big sister thing from the first moment.


In fact, she was so excited she just HAD to call and tell somebody!


 There in Room 3513 of OPR I experienced the first of several thousand happy family moments with the 4 of us.




Neither of us had any idea just how challenging the infancy stage with both Kristen and Audrey would be. I would like to again say THANK YOU for hanging in there through some really difficult circumstances. Infancy involves sleepless nights, right? Well, most infants don't put their parents through nearly SO MANY as you endured.  How you have managed to maintain such a positive attitude and such strength through it all is beyond me and I deeply appreciate it. 
I also appreciate your willingness to make sacrifices so that you can stay home with Kristen and Audrey. And even more than that, you do not settle for "just being there." You work extremely hard to take GOOD care of them. You are not just a supervisor, not just a consultant. You are fully and actively mother to them, teaching them, comforting them, engaging them, supporting them, and constantly thinking of ways to do even better at it.
I like how much you have taught Kristen already and I like having Kristen show me things she has learned and done with you. You are not only teaching her to do things, but also imparting in her an enthusiasm in learning that will serve her well as she grows and matures. I love Kristen's exuberance, enthusiasm, and gusto, and while some of that is her personality, I am confident that it is also due in some part to your great influence.
However, as much as I like the specific things you are teaching her, even more so I like that together we are teaching and showing her that while we admire her intelligence, her accomplishments, her beauty, and so many other things, most of all we love her for who she is. And while it is still early to explain that truth to Audrey, already we are showing her through our actions and I admire that about you.


I'd like to take a minute to recall a few more of my favorite memories related to your mothering...


Our first family photo with Kristen on our porch.


Starting to feed baby food to Kristen (even though in the beginning it took what seemed like an hour to get through one little jar.)


Saturday mornings relaxing on our bed with baby Kristen.


Listening to you read "Snuggle Puppy."


The first time we heard Kristen giggle hysterically...in the living room when she watched us play with the plastic RootBeer bottle.


Watching you dance with Kristen. Such pure happiness and glee.


Listening to you read "Chicka, Chicka, Boom Boom."




Our first family porch photo that included Audrey.



Moving Kristen to her big-girl bed (she loved it!)


Laughing aloud with you when Kristen detered our time out lesson with "I have a big head."







A surprise visit when you stopped by my office with them.

Our first 4-person family trip to Antioch Park (on Audrey's eighth oxygen-breathing day).






Watching Audrey cuddle closely with you.


Corporate worship with you and the girls.






Putting Cardinals shirts on both girls that you found at a great deal:)

Watching Kristen write her name once you taught her.


Watching you teach Audrey to talk, and enjoying her new words with you, like "Hop, hop"






Your creativity and willingness to try new things (yes, you are more creative than you give yourself credit for!)





Or any of many moments where I hear you talking about Kristen or Audrey and am reminded how intimately you know them and the little quirks and intricacies that make them who they are.




These and a thousand other memories make me thankful for you as the mother of my daughters. And Kristen and Audrey are thankful, too:)



 It is with great confidence that I think of your steady ongoing influence on them. Thank you, thank you, thank you:)


Happy Mother's Day and I love you!


Love,
Phil

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Cecilia, you are indeed a great mother. I second Phil's thanks for sticking through the extremely difficult times that I have only heard about, and even then only a portion. I love spending time with you and your daughters, and I cant wait to se you guys in a couple weeks!
(Phil, good work on this post!)