Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'm going to miss this, right?




"So how have you been sleeping lately?" asked a friend the other day.
"Alright, but not great." I replied.

Definition of alright - A good night includes one bad dream (really a night terror)
from either Phil or Kristen, and one or two wake ups from Audrey
occuring between 9 pm and 3 am that are relatively brief, and
then, somewhere between 5 and 6 am, Audrey moves into my bed where
she might sleep, she will roll around, she will moan and/ or cry
out, and she will make it difficult for me to go back to sleep.


We continued chatting about Audrey and her sleep habits, and my friend said, "you know you are going to miss this someday, right ?"

"Miss what? walking around like a zombie? being cranky and tired all the time? I do NOT think so," I thought. But then I really started thinking about it and she was right. I will miss some aspects of Audrey's sleepless nights.

I know you are probably thinking I am crazy as you read this post... because most of you have seen how the last 18 mos of sleep deprivation has affected me. I drag, I rarely dress up anymore, my house is a mess (well it's a mess compared to what it used to be... not really messy.) I have passed on several fun activities with friends because I was just too tired. I have less energy to be the fun (well I think I was fun) person that I used to be. I have even bought already made spaghetti sauce... who would have guessed that would ever be in MY pantry.

But anyways, here is what I will miss, I will miss my mornings with Audrey. I love waking up to her pointing to my nose and her saying "nose." I love the way she plants several kisses on my cheek, and then turns my face with her little hand so she can kiss the other cheek. I love cuddling with her before starting the day. I love the way she smiles at me and laughs. I love the way she throws herself onto my chest and then arches her back up again to see me. Most mornings this kind of greeting helps me forget my terrible night.

No comments: