Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sometimes it's great to be a mom!

Every once in a while, my girls just amaze me. Tonight was one of those nights. I had a really rough day. Last night Audrey woke up around midnight and didn't settle down until 2 am, and even then, she would not let go of my finger. Every time I tried to leave her, she cried out. I eventually left her bed around 6 am and got an hour of sleep before Kristen woke up. I might have slept a few minutes here and there between 2 and 6, but not much. This made for a long and tiring day. And both girls made me work today, crying and fussing, testing limits, being needy. But the end of the night was all worth it.



Around 7:30 I laid Audrey down in her crib (and it only took ten minutes of finger holding, yeah!) So Kristen and I went downstairs to play. We colored and read books. At bedtime, we brushed teeth, put on pajamas, read another book, sang a song and prayed, like always. But tonight Kristen wanted to pray.


Most of the time, I pray and sometimes I hear her echoing some of my words. But tonight, she wanted to pray. And so she did. Here is what she said to the best of my memory: "Dear Lord, thank you for Nanna and thank you for Mimi and thank you for peace. Please help us have peace and sleep. Help us to have patience and share more and take turns talking and thank you for Mimi and that we get some rest. Amen." Wow !!! Now that makes a mom happy, no matter what her day looked like. I am so amazed at the things she picks up and how her little brain processes things. I pray God will help me be the best teacher and model I can be, because she is definitely watching and listening.



Recently, Kristen and I have had several cute moments. She has had a surge of affection and wants to hug and kiss me more... which I am loving !!! She wants to sit in my lap to read or lay as close to me as possible when watching a tv show.
The other day, we had a slumber party and I slept on a sleeping bag in her room. Wow was that a hit!!! She loved it and still talks about it. I, too, enjoyed the experience. If you ever want to know what is on a kid's mind, just lay next to them at bedtime. Man, can that girl talk. I think we laid down around 8 and she finished telling me her whole life story somewhere around 9. But it was cute and it made her sooooo happy.



Maybe it could be Audrey's turn to amaze me and she could sleep straight through till 4 am. Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Beth said...

precious.

Unknown said...

LOVE it. And the pictures of both of you! "help us take turns talking" is hilarious. and faintly reminiscent of someone else i used to know...